Surcharge Issues

In New Jersey DWI cases, in addition to the fines and penalties that are sentenced by the judge in court, drivers convicted of DWI or Refusal must pay additional monetary assessments, or surcharges.

If a driver is convicted of both drunk driving and refusal resulting from the same arrest, there is only one surcharge.

There are two kinds of surcharges after a DWI and/or a Refusal conviction: one that must be paid to the State of New Jersey, and one that is paid to an insurance company.

The amounts paid to the State of New Jersey are fixed, while the fees paid to the insurance company vary with each company and each driver.

On a first and second offense, in addition to any fines and assessments set forth by the court, a driver convicted of DWI or refusal must pay a total of $3,000.00 to the State over a period of three years -- $1,000.00 a year.

On a third or greater conviction, in addition to any fines and assessments set forth by the court, a driver convicted of DWI or refusal must pay a total of $4,500.00 to the State over a period of three years -- $1,500.00 a year.

This state surcharge requirement applies to all drivers convicted of DWI in New Jersey, including drivers who are licensed or live in another state.

The surcharge requirement does not apply in Refusal cases to out of state licensed drivers.

The insurance company surcharge is completely separate from the state surcharge. Companies surcharge based on their own criteria, which include age, gender, marital status, level of offense, and other factors. These surcharges can range from just under $1,000.00 a year for three years, to many thousands of dollars a year for three years.

Some insurance companies will cancel a driver’s insurance policy, even where the driver has been a policy holder for many years. This cancellation is discretionary with the insurance company.

Surcharge notices are mailed to the last address on record with the Motor Vehicle Commission ( MVC). It is important that the convicted driver maintain a current mailing address with the MVC. If the convicted motorist moves, the law requires that you notify the Motor Vehicle Commission within seven days. Changing your address with the U.S. Postal Service does not change it with the MVC. You must contact the MVC directly:

Toll-free in NJ: (888)486-3339
From out-of-state: (609)292-6500
On the web:
By mail:
MVC Change of Address
P.O. Box 016
Trenton, NJ 08666-0016

If the convicted driver moves from New Jersey, or if an out of state driver never lived in New Jersey, the driver is responsible for all surcharges assessed to him or her in New Jersey.

Failure to pay surcharges will result in suspension of New Jersey driving privileges.

For out of state licensed drivers, failure to pay surcharges will result in suspension of New Jersey driving privileges, and New Jersey will also notify the National Driver Register of the suspension. When the out of state driver goes to renew or get a new license in another state, the suspension will be picked up by the state licensing authority, and in all likelihood, the driving privileges will not be renewed until the “hold” on the driving privileges from New Jersey is resolved.

If New Jersey driving privileges are suspended for not making surcharge payments, the MVC will file a judgment against the driver to collect any unpaid assessments.

If there is a mistake in billing, or if you have any questions about surcharges, please write to:

NJ-AISC Surcharge Billing Office
P.O. Box 4775
Trenton, NJ 08650-4775

To obtain information about the surcharge program, or individual surcharges, call the surcharge hotline:

Toll-free (888)651-9999

For general MVC inquiries:

Toll free in NJ: (888)486-3339
From out of state: (609)292-6500
License suspension and restoration information (609) 292-7500

If you need to set up an installment payment plan (IPP) to pay your surcharges, call (888)651-9999 or (609)292-7500.

Surcharges may be paid in person at a MVC Regional Service Center or select MVC Agencies. See the "Locations" section of for walk-in services.

Payment can also be made by major credit card, cash, check or money order. On the web, go to or .

Payment can be made by telephone: (888) 651-9999

Payment can also be made by mail by doing all of the following:

  • Send the bottom portion of your notice
  • Write your NJ driver license number on your check or money order
  • Mail to:
P.O. Box 4850
Trenton, NJ 08650-4850

If you don’t understand your surcharges, or have questions, please call (609) 292-7500.

Client Reviews
This firm is arguably the best representation money can buy. Highly adept and committed, Evan makes himself available all hours of the day to provide accurate and concise answers to any questions/concerns and put your mind at ease. I was highly satisfied with the results he and his team delivered. Worth every penny. T.N.
I express my utmost gratitude to Evan Levow. When I met Evan, I was charged with a DUI, with a prior DUI 10 years ago. Before that case was over, I unfortunately received another DUI, and was now facing 180 days in jail. In both cases, Evan got the DUI's dismissed! Evan and his team demonstrate knowledge, expertise, professionalism, perseverance, and much more. There is a passion for justice in this firm and I witnessed that "fire" in Evan. Thank You so much. F.C.
You dug through the facts of my case thoroughly and found all the errors that were made by the officers. From the breathalyzer error, to the observed time error, to my condition, to my foot failing the balance test, you dug out all the facts, and I am grateful for that. I am back to my career which is a bus driver and once again thank you. D.B.